Hi my name is S and being a woman shouldn’t be as difficult as it, but that does not make me less proud to be one, it is my diadem.
I cannot begin to list all the challenges and hoops I have to jump through just to reach my goal, hoops that shouldn’t exist.
As not just a woman but a feminist, I want the world to recognize the full untapped potential of women. I want the world to be more accepting of women so that by the time my baby sisters are old enough to have some form of understanding of the world, it won’t be as harsh, hopefully then their gender won’t be hindrance to achieving whatever they put their hearts to.
Ladies, and men who are feminists, this is the kind of future I hope women will have:
1. I don’t want to live in a world where men police women for how we, adult females choose to cloth ourselves. A world where women should not be told to mind how they dress so as not to fall victim of sexual assault.
2. As a woman I don’t want to live in a world where women are blamed for being sexual assaulted. I want a world where a woman’s CONSENT is not taken for granted.
3. I want a world where women can walk into pharmacies to buy their own condoms and emergency pills without getting condescending stares.
4. I want to live in a world where men don’t ask women if I am ‘giving attitude/being b*tchy’ because I am on my period. I want to live in a world where men don’t make insensitive comments about women menstruating because I believe that if men went through the agony of bleeding every month, they would be better behaved. Infact, I believe that women are superior to men BECAUSE we menstruate, yes I said it.
5. I want to live in a world where when women can turn down sexual advances without been seen as ‘fronting’. I want to live in a world where women can own their sexualities, a world where women wont be slut shamed for even having CONSENSUAL sex.
6. I want to live in a world where women are not looked down on for their decision to remain unmarried or to become single parents.
7. I want to live in a world where the immediate reaction to a woman’s suggestions is not dismissal, because heaven knows women are freaking brilliant.
8. I want to live in a world where men treat women with respect because we more than deserve it.
9. I want to live in a world where women come together to oust men who have treated them badly because they know they don’t have to deal with abusive partners.
10. I want to live in a world where men can’t dictate what women can or cannot do with their bodies.
11. I want to live in a world where women are constantly breaking glass ceilings created by men in the society.
12. I want to live in a world where men are proud feminists, a world where the word ‘feminist’ is not spoken about with contempt and disgust.
13. I want to live in a world where the gender pay gap becomes non-existent because women work just as hard as men, and sometimes even harder.
14. I want to live in a world where all women believe themselves to be beautiful, a world where the notion that ‘beauty’ is one dimensional is erased.
15. I want to live in a world where the phrase “you do well…for a woman” does not exist because women are not less than men.
16. I want to live in a world where women are deconstructing gender biases and reaching heights that all the women before us could never attain, a world changed ENTIRELY by women.
I want to live in a world dominated by wonderful brilliant strong-ass women because there are millions of us.
I’m going to repeat the prayer Funmi said to me this morning “Happy Women’s Day, May f*ck boys remain far from you”.
I am Bold For Change!
Ladies, share some of the changes you want women to achieve in the coming years.