TWO ******* ********* Now Aigbe smiled callously as he watched Esosa tumble backwards onto the floor. He thought to himself that she quite looked like a fish out of water – flailing about, reaching for support that would not be forthcoming. His smile very quickly evolved into a cruel laugh as he watched the back…
Aigbe smiled callously as he watched Esosa tumble backwards onto the floor. He thought to himself that she quite looked like a fish out of water – flailing about, reaching for support that would not be forthcoming. His smile very quickly evolved into a cruel laugh as he watched the back of her head crash onto the cold, tiled floor with a sickening, wet sound. Leaping astride her semi-conscious body, he rained three solid blows onto her torso, working his way from her lower ribcage to her sternum. She yelped, shook and choked with each blow, unable to fight back.
“You are the one that will die, not me, Stupid Harlot!”
He spat into her face as the last blow landed and she choked violently, jerking with the impact of the blow and recoiling from the glob of projectile spittle that had hit her face.
“You! Are! A! Mad! Dirty! Prostitute!”
Each word was punctuated by a slap that sent waves of pain coursing through Esosa’s head. She could barely speak or shout or scream in protest, much less move. She felt herself start to slip into a numb blackness but she tried to hold on. Aigbe wrapped his hands around her neck and muttered.
“Witch! Harlot! Your plan has failed!”
Esosa closed her eyes and let the numbing darkness take her as her husband choked the remaining life from her, his wedding ring pressing against her carotid artery.
2 hours earlier
Esosa smiled to herself as she poured the brown powder into the bottle of Merlot. She re-corked it and shook it violently until the powder began to dissolve. She knew Aigbe was already on his way home…
Why would a husband try to kill his wife? Is Aigbe just an evil villain or a man exacting revenge? What was Esosa pouring into his wine? What could have happened to this couple 2 days ago, 2 months ago, 2 years ago… that got them to this point? Are you wondering how the story ends? Good. Because you’ll be ending it yourself. Welcome to ‘TWO’. TNCng’s first open post competition and a lead-in to the next instalment of The Writer competition.
So how does this work?
1) You have to conclude the story, picking up where we left off and explaining what could have possibly happened in time shifts of 2. Describe events 2 hours earlier, 2 days earlier, 2 months earlier and 2 years earlier, in that order, and in so doing, conclude the story. You are to construct a logical and interesting story leading up to and tying-in to these events above.
2) You will have to complete the story in 1200 words or less.
3) Upload the completed story on your website/blog (or any other website/blog you have access to) with an introduction citing TNC as the source and include a link to this post in the introduction to your story.
4) Come back to this post and leave a comment with your name, the number of words in your story, where you heard of the competition and a link to the blog/website you have uploaded it to. (You might want to bookmark this post so you can easily come back to it)
5) The time allowed is 3 months. Make your submission by commenting on or before Monday, Nov 5th, 2012. All comments entered after this time will not be considered.
If any of the above rules are not followed correctly, you will not be eligible for the prizes.
Whats in it for you?
Fun! Obviously. If you are already a blogger/writer, this is a potential story idea. If your’re not, well its a great way to get started. TNCng is all about sharing, stories and expressing yourself and this is an opportunity for you to conclude a creative story whichever way you like. But of course, you know us, we love a good story and so…
There will be three winners…
– You will win a wonderful TNC T-shirt from Bandit Co., a copy of Stieg Larsson’s classic book – The girl with the dragon tattoo and Instant qualification for the finals of the 2013 edition of ‘The Writer’ competition where you stand the chance to win up to $1000 (US) in prizes.
– You will win any book of your choice from www.jumia.com.ng, a $25 iTunes gift card and a T-shirt from Bandit Co.
– You get a wonderful T-shirt from Bandit Co.
So what is the judging criteria for Prizes?
1) Story/Plot (30 points) – Make it as interesting/complex as possible but with no loose ends/plot holes.
2) Style/Tone (20 points) – Structure, adherence to the established style, etc.
3) Use of Language (20 points) – Grammar, tenses, spelling, punctuation… the technical stuff.
4) Creativity (15 points) – Those little bits that make it special – metaphors, words with significance, etc.
5) Time taken (10 points) – The earlier you submit your entry, the more points you get.
6) References (5 points) – Get your friends in on it too! (You get extra points for every person that says they heard from you in their introduction or comment)
Well, that’s it people! Tell your friends, Start writing and most importantly, have fun!
So what are you waiting for? Let your imagination loose and get writing! EXPRESS YOU!